Wednesday, September 26, 2012

15 Months Old

Natalie weighs 24 lbs. and is 32.5 inches tall! Everyone is always surprised to hear that our toddler is only 15 months old, like she should be older because of her height and vocabulary. She's wearing 18-24 month outfits, and usually takes one 2-hour nap a day. She has 10 teeth now, plus 2 more molars that are part way through. She also seems to be exhibiting some separating anxiety. Hopefully it will pass quickly! She is also throwing more tantrums. It's understandable that when she can't express how she feels or what she wants sometimes, frustration mounts. I will usually ask her to use her words (and she will), or I will give her the words she might be looking for, and the results she wanted. This mostly works.

Ever since we watched an Elmo movie in the van, all she ever says when we put her in her car seat is "Elmo?" Why do kids love Elmo so much? Is it the big googly eyes, the high voice, or just his sweet demeanor? She gets so excited when she sees anything with Elmo - like the shirt a boy was wearing at Great Play one day. She pointed and said "Elmo!" everytime she saw the boy! Elmo is cute, but I can only take so much of the high voice on Sesame Street. Sometimes Mommy fast-forwards or changes the channel.  :)

Every time I take her to the grocery store, she says "Hi" to everyone we pass, it's hysterical! Most people smile and say "Hi" back, which of course Natalie loves. It helps make the trip more bearable, especially when she starts getting really antsy after sitting in the shopping cart for so long.

We made it to a couple of high school football games this season (for the marching bands, of course). Natalie usually spends most of her time running around with Mommy chasing her, or sitting on top of Daddy's shoulders:



Natalie loves books, whether she's pulling them off the shelf, flipping through them, or siting calmly and happily with us and looking at the pictures while we read. I believe reading is likely to be one of the most rewarding activities we share with her. Not only does reading aloud to kids expand their vocabulary, but it also lets them experience the joy of telling and hearing stories. It teaches them how the world around them works and helps them develop a love of learning. I read that toddlers often want to hear the same story again and again. Repetition helps them learn the words, and familiarity with the story – "Aha! I knew that would happen!" ­– is reassuring. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment